Wednesday 17 April 2013

Carnegie Books: Short reviews 2


Wonder
RJ Palacio

This book had been on the library shelves for several months and had never gone out. It was one I intended to read, and as soon as I started reading it I couldn’t put it down. The first few chapters are from Auggie’s point of view, then it changes to include various other characters. I would have preferred Augustus to be the narrator the whole way through, as I was sorry when the first section came to an end, but the other characters offered interesting perspectives on what was happening to Augustus. However, his sister only had a short section and I found her very interesting as a character. The book tugs at the heartstrings, but it is very American and everything ties up neatly at the end. I don’t find the cover very appealing and wonder if it puts readers off, as I’m still having difficulty persuading students to read it, despite recommending it to them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment