Monday 14 November 2011

    My review of Wasted by Nicola Morgan



Wasted tells the story of Jess, a seventeen year old girl who is about to leave school. Her home life is not easy – her dad lives abroad and her mum is struggling with alcoholism. Jess spends her time writing songs and singing and it is through this that she meets Jack, who signs her up to his band ‘Schrödinger’s Cat’ as soon as he hears her unique voice. The band are playing at the school prom which is only a few days away, so need to practise flat out with  Jess as their new lead singer.
Jack’s life is ruled by chance. Having lost two mothers at an early age, he believes he can control his life with the flip of a coin. Jack is reckless and dangerous when playing the game and becomes addicted to it and exposes himself to unnecessary danger.  Jack and Jess fall in love and she soon becomes embroiled in the game.
The author plays with her readers by allowing them to play the game too. At crucial points, readers are asked to flip a coin and choose which chapter to read. She demonstrates how random life is, how events can go one way or the other with the slightest change of behaviour and unusually we are able to see both endings here. I particularly liked this aspect of the novel.
I read this book in a day, the characters are so believable and I was intrigued by the constant question of ‘What if?’  I flipped a coin at the end as instructed and got the ending I didn’t want; naturally I read the other chapter too.
I have already started recommending this book to students who I hope will enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment