Wednesday 8 June 2011

Obama scrapbook and Aneesah Siddiqui in 'The Times'

All the Obama news cuttings have been put together in a scrapbook, which we presented to the Head yesterday.

Aneesah Siddiqui wrote this article which was published in 'The Times' newspaper:

Some of you may have read the following article
already as it was printed in ‘The Times’ on Thursday
26th May. We were very proud to see one of our
students in print in such a prestigious national
newspaper. For those of you who missed it, here
is a chance to read about Aneesah’s experiences
in Oxford.
‘Before yesterday, Oxford University was totally
beyond my aspirations. I knew about its elite
status from the media. But, I believed that
because of the expense, I would never achieve it.
After my unbelievable experience I now believe
that any money paid to attend this university
would be worth it. No price can be put on such an
amazing education, surely?
On the way to Oxford the atmosphere on the
coach was electric; everyone was buzzing with
excitement and looking forward to the day.
My fi rst impression of Oxford was that it was
unbelievably clean, so much cleaner and much
more beautiful than London.
We fi rstly took part in a workshop led by three
inspirational female academics from Oxford
University. The physics lecturer really connected
with me because I am captivated by science and
I began to think about potentially working with
her one day. This day was already like a dream to
me.
Lunch at Wadham College was incredible. I was
captivated by the stunning room, the stained
glass, the history, the portraits and the people
who had been there throughout history. It
seemed wrong to be sitting in there eating
sandwiches – it felt as if the room had only ever
been used for ten course banquets! This was a
good opportunity for us to talk to the Oxford
University Mentors who were looking after us. I
was paired with a PPE student who said he would
help with my application for Oxford when the
time came.
When we were walking to the room where we
would meet Michelle Obama, I was petrifi ed. My
hands were shaking as I took my seat. We all stared
at the door through which she was going to enter.
When she fi nally came through that door we were
beaming! I fi nally met my role model. She looked
angelic in white. When she was delivering her
speech, I was transfi xed. I couldn’t believe that
she cared so much about my school in Islington. I
was amazed at how close I was to her.
When we began to ask our questions, I was
longing for my turn. I was overwhelmed as Mrs
Obama gave me her microphone, I was just
thinking about how I was holding Mrs Obama’s
microphone, how amazing was that! As I asked
my question she made me feel so confi dent that I
forgot that there were cameras around the room.
I felt like we were speaking in private - that’s how
comforting she was. She made me forget my
fears. She said that we are all future leaders and
we must start now. I am going to strive for the
best.
When I got home I was greeted with hugs from
my proud parents. I just kept wondering why

No comments:

Post a Comment